Online polls are a fast and flexible tool for understanding and engaging your audience. They allow you to study participants, collect opinions with quick responses, or do research.
Learn how Swift can help you improve your bussiness communication
What is online polling?
Online or web polling is usually presented as a questionnaire on a web page, and participants can answer questions online. Online questions — especially anonymous ones — can help you learn a lot about your audience. People share their opinions without disclosing their identity which means they can answer more openly. Usually, the poll organizer shares a link to the questionnaire. An interviewee follows the link and fills out the questionnaire fields. Then, the system sends the results to the organizer’s computer so they can share the results with the interviewees or the selected group. You can use online questions for a large number of events, including elections, conferences, university lectures, and corporate meetings.
Why should I use online polls?
Using online questions offers significant advantages over other polling options:
- It’s a cost-effective way to explore your audience: You cut costs by not spending money on paper, printing, forwarding documents, or making phone calls.
- You save time and effort: Web polling software collects and analyzes responses automatically. All you have to do is create a question and run it, then you stop it when you’re done.
- Participants can choose when to answer online polls: Comfort and flexibility increase the response rate.
- It makes the questions easier to access: Organizers notify participants by providing a link in an email, or by showing the questionnaire on the presentation screen. Participants can also respond via computer, laptop, mobile device, etc.
- Swift internet polls have high reach and scalability.
- An online questionnaire has flexible settings: You can quickly create packets of questions customized for any audience.
- Anonymity is essential: Participants feel safe when their identity is protected. This increases responsiveness and completion rates.
- Feedback is more accurate because an online system handles it: There is no need to enter responses manually, so the error rate is reduced.
- Website polls are done in real-time.
- Swift itself provides data in convenient charts to make analysis straightforward.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the most useful applications for online polling.
Academic/market research Quick questions are the best option for pre-screening a theory or for a comprehensive sociological study. Marketers will find out what the audience prefers, which products they like most, and which considerations drive shoppers to make specific purchases. Research is more productive with direct interviews with your audience.
Audience Engagement Free online polls make the audience stay on a site or group of social networks longer. This increases the response and interaction with these pages which is useful for SEO and content marketing purposes. Also, communication is vital for education and product promotion!
Event Planning/ Opinions gathering Free web polls collect feedback: where the best place is to host an event, who to invite, what to offer, etc. Any opinion can be collected — impressions of a trip, concert, celebration, restaurant service, and more.
How do I create an online poll?
Our tool allows you to quickly and easily create online polls.
- When you first log in to your account, you see two ‘Create New Poll’ buttons: one is in the upper right corner and the other in the center of the page. Click on any of them.
- Select one of the question types: multiple-choice, open-ended, or word cloud.
- Write your question and click on Launch. Your questions are live right away!
Where online polls can be used
Online polls are useful in virtually any field that involves human interaction. Here are some examples:
Education The instructor verifies subject knowledge quickly or collects feedback on their instruction.
Government City or country administration staff can collect information about the success or usefulness of reforms, how efficient changes have been, and much more.
Politics Polls are the most popular method of collecting information for political campaigns. It’s possible to carry out benchmark, tracking, entrance, exit, and other questions using online polls.
Retail Marketers or retailers can interview buyers with online polls. They want to know whether the product, service quality, and other factors satisfy the customer.
Travel The easiest way to get travel feedback is to ask travelers what they think about things like a certain hotel, the trip’s organization, and their overall experience.
Volunteering Free online polls can be helpful for finding volunteers and getting volunteer feedback after events.
How to make your online poll efficient: Practical tips
Often, poll results become a point of reference for making important decisions, so every business has an interest in making sure their online polls are efficient. Here are some tips that will improve the quality of your surveys and the accuracy of your results:
- Make short questions and surveys — no longer than 10 minutes or 20 questions.
- Ask straightforward questions.
- Group your questions by topic.
- It’s better to place ‘sensitive’ questions at the end of your poll. For example, those about age or education level.
- Avoid irrelevant questions.
- Convince participants that all the personal information is entirely safe and will not be shared with any third parties.
- Take your time on a good design. Attractive visuals increase the response rate in online polls.
- Add some pictures and videos to keep the interviewee’s attention.
Swift Polling has an extensive library of templates for online questions. You can choose any design that best suits your website, social networking group, presentation, and other platforms to maximize the success and results of your online poll.
FAQ for Online Polls
- One vote per device allowed
- Unlimited votes per device allowed
- Custom number of votes per device allowed
- Go to "Create a poll" section
- Enable the WEB feature
- Go to the WEB settings tab on the right
- Choose a template from the template gallery
- Select a background from the drop down list
How to create online polls and surveys: an A to Z guide for beginners
Create and launch online polls in a matter of seconds with Swift Polling. Collect and visualize the responses in real time and use them for your research, in the classroom or just to wow your audience.
Create and present web polls
Create a web poll
1. Select “Poll” from the pop-up.
2. Enable “Web” feature from the bottom of your dashboard.
3. Type in the question and add the response options; add more than two options by selecting “Add Option”.
Cutsomize your poll
1. Go to the upper-left corner of your dashboard and customize your Event code.
2. Move to the right side and choose a “Template” for your poll.
3. From the variety of “Backgrounds” choose the best one for you.
4. Use “Template Preview” for a quick look the template and background you selected.
5. Go to the second tab of “Poll Settings” and customize how often people can participate for each question. You can choose one vote per question, make it unlimited or customize the number of votes
6. To activate your poll, press “Launch Poll”.
Present the results
1. After launching your poll, enter “Presentation Mode” to show the results from the web.
2. Alternatively, you can embed your poll in a PowerPoint presentation Learn more here.
3. Finally, you can embed the poll on your website to display it to your visitors.
More web polling features
Create multiple polls and navigate through them using arrows. “Stop” the current poll, move to another and press “Start” right from the presentation page
Enter full-screen mode from your presentation page.
Change the color of the background on the results page to light or dark.
Choose a bar chart or pie chart to present the results.
Use the “General” tab from “Advanced” web settings in your dashboard to choose how the poll looks when it is not active. You can choose to show the poll “Results” or “They stay tuned page”. Change the name of the results to any header your like.
Use the “Link” tab from “Advanced” web settings in your dashboard to create a survey. Select the “Poll” option to choose from the existing polls; also, edit the “Next link button title”. Alternatively, choose the “Story link” option and link your poll to any URL you want.
Choose whether to show or hide the results of your poll with the “Results” tab from “Advanced” web settings in your dashboard.
If you create your poll way before the event, then you can schedule a date and time to launch your poll automatically.
You can always edit or delete your saved polls.
Use online polls to pull in your audience
Find out what your audience thinks and let them vote from their computer, smartphone, or mobile device.
Share online poll results to add colors to your presentations
Share poll results with your audience in real-time either directly from Swift’s dashboard or within Microsoft Powerponit.
Make a poll choosing from a variety of poll types
Pick a poll type that works best for you, including multiple-choice, open-ended, word-cloud or survey options.
Create online polls in a matter of seconds
We work hard to keep it simple. You can create your polls ahead of time or craft them as you go.
Run quick surveys online
Your audience can offer real-time feedback during your next meeting or conference. Use the data as you go or study it once your presentation is complete.
Embed your online polls on your website
Swift generates an embed code that you can place within your website or any content management system.
Custom poll view
Customize your own graphic package within a personalized web template that has your company’s branding and style.
Choose the graphics and visuals that work best with your live stream or show, presented as lower-third or full-screen graphics.
Plan poll launch
It’s up to you: schedule when you want your polls to go live.
Star on social
Allow your audience to vote directly on Twitter using your own hashtags and share the data in real-time.
Your data can be exported to CSV or Excel documents.
Make your next event the best yet
with Swift Polling.